10mp 10fps 1.3 crop

Started Feb 17, 2007 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,546
Re: 10mp 10fps 1.3 crop

Jim F. wrote:

If we assume this is correct, which I certainly hope not. I realize
there are no specs here, but going by the base info this has got to
be about as big of a snoozer release as the 30d and the 400d were.

A 2MP and 1.5 FPS increase with no significant sensor upgrade for
better color fidelity, DR, and ISO ability will cause the 1DII
market to remain hot for quite awhile, especially if Canon is
upping the price again for the new release.

I think we are a bit spoiled into wishing that specs are going to make huge leaps with every new update. People are complaining that the resolution is "only" going up to 10mp, but are people really expecting a 13mp high speed sports/pj camera? Anyone who's ever shot 13mp RAW files knows that they are huge, and not conducive to very high shooting volumes that are typical of the 1D MKIIN target user. 10mp at 10fps is PLENTY. Are there really that many 10mp 10fps cameras out there that it makes this proposed camera "boring"? Keep in mind that the D2Hs only does 4mp at 8fps, and the D2X only does 6.8mp at 8fps (in HSC mode). 10mp at 10fps blows both of those cameras out of the water. For that very RARE breed that needs 13mp at 13fps, sorry but you'll have to dream on. For the rest of us, 10mp at 10fps is dandy. As for "better color fidelity, DR, ISO ability", your assumptions that those factors aren't any better are a bit premature. Besides, I think there's a better chance that those things will be better on a 10mp sensor than having 13mp (or more) crammed onto the same sensor area. Basically, people like yourself are expecting a 13mp+ sensor, with a 10fps+ frame rate, on a FF (or 1.6X) sensor, with amazingly better high ISO, better, DR, etc, which is great to dream about, but I think a 10mp 10fps 1.3x camera with modest improvements in sensor performance at a modest price (for a 1D MKII successor) is simply...more reastic. And for those who don't think it's enough of an improvement can just keep shooting with their existing 1D MKIIN's.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow