K10D AF adjustment

Started Feb 12, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mskad Veteran Member • Posts: 3,329
K10D AF adjustment

Shin's post ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=22013971 ) about how to access the service menu and calibrate the K10D AF is the best thing since sliced bread!

I evidently tried to calibrate all my lenses and although I didn't think I had an AF issue, I found a spectacular improvement after adjusting my FA 50mm f/1.4 and my DA 21mm f/3.2.

I also noticed that the adjustment values are quite different if it's under daylight or tungsten conditions.

For the curious, here are "my" adjustment values (daylight/tungsten):

DA 21mm f/3.2 (+40/-20)
FA 31mm f/1.8 (0/-80)
DA 40mm f/2.8 (0/-80)
FA 50mm f/1.4 (-60/-120)
FA 77mm f/1.8 (0/-80)

As you can see, the FA31, DA40 and FA77 are consistent, the DA21 back focuses and the FA50 front focuses.

I also noticed that the K10D AF system is extremely reliable and accurate, once calibrated.

Bottom line: this K10D is getting better and better

Thank you M.S. Shin!

PS: If only Pentax was willing to make this feature easier to use through a firmware update, this could become THE killer feature (Ideally and after calibration, the camera would automatically adjust the offset based on a predefined value for each lens).

K10D (AF adjusted -80) with FA31mm @ f/2.8 - tungsten - ISO 640

-- hide signature --
 mskad's gear list:mskad's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tc
lak
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow