Electronic Viewfinder on the 1DsIII

Started Feb 8, 2007 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marty Sedluk Regular Member • Posts: 298
Electronic Viewfinder on the 1DsIII

I have been following the rumors about the next version of the 1DsII. I think the most interesting of these rumors is the new lens mount. And these are my thoughts on why I think the next camera will have an Electronic Viewfinder.

The 35mm sensor size is a wonderful compromise. The two major photographic issues that need to be balanced are the size of telephoto lenses and the control of depth of focus. If you go smaller than 35mm you do not have the control of depth of focus, this is very important in professional work. Depth of focus is probably the biggest difference between a FF SLR and a point and shoot. The subject is in focus and the background is soft and out of focus. Just about all of us know we do not want a smaller sensor.

If you have a sensor that is bigger than 35mm you get even more control of depth of focus, but good luck holding the equivalent to a 400mm f/2.8 or a 600mm f/4. Super telephoto is the killer application of a 35mm sensor. They do not make Super telephoto lenses for medium format because you would not be able to lift them off the ground.

I think it is only a matter of time before they get rid of the mirror. With film having the mirror was a necessary compromise. But with a digital sensor all we need is a very good display to see the scene that we are composing. I am not taking about the LCD on the back of the camera; we still want the display protected from stay light. We just need a super high res display in place of the view finder.

Then we can have wide angle lenses that are not Angenieux retrofocus. We no longer have to worry about the mirror so the glass can go further back closer to the sensor. The new lenses will not work on the old bodies, but we can continue to use all of the old lenses.

Without the mirror we can have a sensor that covers the entire image circle. This was not possible with a mirror because the larger mirror would hit the lens. You could select the shape of the image before the image is taken.

Getting rid of the mirror will also improve focusing because the camera will have a true sensor to determine focus. The current camera takes a small amount of the light and directs it to the focusing system, we need lots of light to focus.

Getting rid of the mirror we can have the sensor determine proper exposure. Ideally having one pixel in the image with the maximum exposure.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TLE
TLE
TLE
TLE
TLE
TLE
TLE
TLE
TLE
TLE
TLE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow