Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

Started Jan 14, 2007 | Discussions thread
Stujoe Veteran Member • Posts: 5,856
Re: $500 camera / $5,000 lens

Probably not a lot of D50 buyers will get those lenses either because both the D50 and D40 are Nikon's 'budget' dSLRs and many people looking at them are going to be concerned with expense. More D80 users will probably look at those lenses and even more D200 users will look at them. And I think that may have been the poster's point.

I think it is good advice for buyers to look at overall cost of what they want to get especially if they are on a tighter budget. Many who are looking at a D50 or D40 are probably on a tighter budget than those looking at a D80 or D200.

Of course, the following will depend upon what kind of range and speed lenses you want but when I was trying to decide on a D40, 50 or 80, I looked at overall price of the type lenses I wanted in order to figure out what was in my budget range. For me, moving up from a super zoom PS, I wanted something that went up to 300mm to match my old camera but was also a bit wider. I also wanted something fast for low light.

My personal comparison turned out (B&H prices).

D50 with Nikon 18-55mm AFS, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, and Nikon 50mm f/1.8D - Total Price: $935

D80 with Nikon 18-55mm AFS, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, and Nikon 50mm f/1.8D - Total Price: $1385

D40 with Nikon 18-55mm AFS, Nikon 70-300mm AFS VR, and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM - Total Price: $1520

Now, if the kit lens is all someone is interested in or a fast lens is not of interest to them or they want a 200mm range or they don't want to do lens changes of they have a budget that allows more expensive lenses, their comparisons may well be quite different.

But, when looking at a dSLR on a budget, I think it is good advice to look at what lenses are available to meet your needs and the cost of those lenses.

-- hide signature --

Stujoe -
http://www.flickr.com/people/stujoe/

Nikon D50 (Nikon 18-55mm, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter)
Panasonic FZ7

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RAL
GLP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow