Slower speeds from 4GB CF compared to 2GB

Started Dec 31, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
johnchap2 Contributing Member • Posts: 722
Slower speeds from 4GB CF compared to 2GB

I was so impressed with the speed and value of the Transcend 2GB 120x card that I recently bought that I purchased three 4GB 120x CF cards. But I am concerned with the write speed of the 4GB cards (so far I have only tried one of them). My test consists of using my Nikon D200 and shooting 10 RAW shots as fast as I can. Timing starts when the first shot is fired and ends when the write light go out. The times for mulitiple tests using the 2GB card are from 14 seconds to 16 seconds. However the 4GB card times always range from 22 seconds to 24 seconds. Is there any reason other than a defect that the 2gb write speeds are nearly 30% faster than the write speeds of the 4GB card?

According to the Transcend website the serial number and product code suggest a true Transcend card rather than a knockoff.

Using HDTach the read speeds of the two cards appear to be the same. The only other difference between the two cards is that the 2GB is FAT and the 4GB is FAT32.

While I wait for a response from Transcend, any ideas or theories on why the apparent write speed differences other than a possible defect?

johnchap2's gear list:johnchap2's gear list
Nikon D800
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow