Nikon D40 Review is up !!!

Started Dec 20, 2006 | Discussions thread
Steve Sovis New Member • Posts: 16
Re: So, why not the K100D instead? Long Reply 7 Reason Post.

It's close, very, very close. The K100D and D40 are my DSLR finalist and I'm leaning toward the Nikon right now because:

1. The reason to buy a DSLR over a bridge camera, say a S3IS, is superior speed and low light performance (BTW the SLR price handicap is easily 3X for these advantages). The D40's burst mode, buffer capacity and speed in general blow the Pentax away (the P is even way slower than the S3IS in prefocus shutter lag). They are close on LL performance, but you need to raise and use the flash on the P while you can be steathly with the N (don't wake the baby!). Yes, affordable fast AF-S lenses to take major advantage of this difference don't exist now, but I'm betting that this gap will be filled.

2. N is lighter and smaller, hence I'm more likely to have it with me.

3. N is much quieter for wildlife and sleepy kid shots.

4. N color to my eye is much better. Check out the yellows.

5. P lacks predictive focus, N has it. Kids and dogs run toward you.

6. The Kit 18-50s and 55-200s are a wash with a slight edge going to N. My near term lens needs are economically covered while more AF-S options are brought to market.

7. P's future with Hoya and Samsung = ? Less long term uncertainty with N. This isn't too big a deal for me, but worth mentioning.

Unfortunately N's raw processing software is $150 extra and there is no shake reduction, the preventer of the reason for most blown shoots. Since I've got some P glass this is a particularly close call for me. Yesterday I was P, today N. For now, I'm waiting for N's price to drop and for two lense kits to be offered to make up the $200 difference that exist now($50 rebate plus $150 software allowance). I'm reluctant to buy into N's proprietaryness (e.g. raw formate and white balance coding). If the price gap opens rather than closes I could very well jump back to P or even go to the S3IS when I really need a new cam.

How's that for reasons and confusion. Thanks for the opportunity to think thru the choice in writing.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
Dan
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Dan
GLP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow