Nikon D40 Review is up !!!

Started Dec 20, 2006 | Discussions thread
Dave Oddie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,138
Re: "who needs 8MP?"

Phil Askey wrote:

I see you've swallowed the megapixel pill whole.

Maybe he has but I think you should have made a bigger fuss about the lens incompatibility issue to the extent of knocking it down to recommended in its final rating.

You have mentioned more than once Canon tend to deliberately miss out features and I think that even applied to the latest A6xx review posted as well as to the original 300D d-slr review.

Well Nikon are now doing exactly the same thing with their d-slrs.

The D200 is the only camera that is within the realms of the reasonably affordable (though still too expensive for me) that offers full backward lens compatability.

The D80 while it will focus older AF lenses it won't meter with other older lenses so saying as the review does that Nikon suggest (I think) go to the D80 for better compatibility is not strictly true.

The D40 won't focus or meter many older lenses.

There is a clear hierarchy here just as there is with Canon not implementing certain features they could easily do in their entry level d-slr.

I think this is a significant development (if that is the right word) and who is to say if Nikon thinks they can get away with it they won't drop backward AF compatibility with the next generation D80 level camera?

One of the things Nikon play on is that their lens mount is backwards compatible with old lenses but with the D40 they have thrown that out of the window and the possible implications of this are not to be dismissed lightly IMO.

One of the reasons I didn't buy a D80 is the fact I could not get a Tamron adaptall-2 mount off e-bay for my mirror lens and have it meter when attached to the camera and I think the D40 casts a big doubt over Nikon's future commitment to backwards lens compatibility to the extent it is no longer a reason to buy into the system.

Dave

Dave Oddie's gear list:Dave Oddie's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
Dan
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Dan
GLP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow