Nikon D40 Review is up !!!

Started Dec 20, 2006 | Discussions thread
rmarquez Regular Member • Posts: 413
This is what we are saying in the Pentax forum...

The whole image softness issue that Phil has raised is indeed by design, and is not a problem at all. The manual in the K10D explains:

Natural Image Tone - "Images are finished naturally and suitable for retouching".

Bright Image Tone - "Images are finished brightly, with high contrast and sharpness".

The K10D, being targeted to more advanced users, defaults to Natural. Phil tried adjusting the sharpness in the "Natural" setting, but it would not give him the desired results. However, it turns out that changing the setting to "Bright" does give results that he likes. At least that is what he said in the review of the K100 which defaults to "Bright" and gives just about the same exact results. See this post for the see that, and press the back button when you are satisfied.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21334660

It is clear then that Pentax chose to use the Natural image tone so that users can adjust it in their computers to their hearts content, applying whatever level of sharpness they enjoy. So, what you get out of the camera in the default mode is not meant to make you go Wow when you look at it zoomed 100% in a monitor. Other camera makers chose to apply more sharpening to their pictures out of the camera. But again, if you like sharp pictures out of the camera, with no tweaking on your part needed, simply set it to Bright and adjust the contrast and stauration accordingly.

Why Phil insists on ignoring what the manual states regarding the intent of this setting (to say nothing of the SR issue) is beyond me. Personally, I think he was a little rushed to get this review out the door (or he simply has a different Philosophy than Pentax and its community).

Oh, and you probably will be interested in the K10D vs D200 RAW comparison:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21286534

I hope Phil did this on purpose just to have a laugh at them (they
really have been mean and rude to Phil).

ChemDoc

ChemDoc, now who is the mean one exactly?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
Dan
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Dan
GLP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow