$1200 purchase, the thing I gave the most weight to was the
assessment of the overall image quality of the various cameras I
was looking at.

Is that really all that unreasonable?

I'm not so sure if pixel peeping at test targets from a tripod
under studio light with a stopped down prime lens has so much
impact on real life performance, that this would be my main buying
reference, especially if all the findings are "condensed" into a
highly subjective and "virtual" number by one reviewer.

Dude, lighten up. Someone said the Pentaxers would have a fit over the relative ratings, I answered that in the most important category, Image Quality, the reviewer in question scored the camera considerably higher.

If you read my second post, I CLEARLY STATE that I looked at many reviews from many sources in making my decision. It was a hard decision; this was my first dSLR, and I felt I was buying into a system, not just buying a camera. So I read reviews, and for me the most important element of those reviews was the assessment of the camera's image quality. In other words, Image Quality was ultimately more important to me than whether or not the camera could fire off remote flashes wirelessly.

I never, anywhere, said I based my decision to buy my D80 solely on the IQ rating in the DPReview review. If I implied that, it was PURELY UNINTENTIONAL. I do not have a dog in this fight; I simply made an observation about the releative scores in the IQ category of these two cameras, by way of noting it as ONE POSSIBLE REASON that the reviewer seemed to favor one camera, the D40, over another, the K10D.

I DO NOT EVEN CLAIM THE THE IQ OF THE D40 IS SUPERIOR TO THE IQ OF THE K10D. I MERELY CLAIM THE THE REVIEWER, BY VIRTUE OF RATING THE ONE AN 8.5, AND THE OTHER A 7.5, SEEMS TO THINK THAT THE IQ OF THE FIRST IS BETTER THAN THE IQ OF THE SECOND.

Please let me know if that is still in any way unclear...

Paul

-- hide signature --

-pjm

I never gave a damn about the meter man until I was the man who had to read the meters.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
Dan
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Aby
Dan
GLP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow