(hacked) RAW support for Powershot A610!

Started Dec 14, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jpstanley Regular Member • Posts: 227
(hacked) RAW support for Powershot A610!

I was browsing through the dcraw history (looking to see when XTi support was added so I could complain to Google for still not supporting the XTi in their latest build of Picasa...) when I noticed something strange--the author's comment for the Nov. 28 build states the following:

Added the Canon PowerShot A610.

So, scratching my head, I went to the dcraw website which refers you to this site:

digicanon.narod.ru

... which contains a program that installs through the firmware update interface (but does not actually update the firmware) that enables the camera to save RAW photos. They're uncompressed, and they're only 10-bit (compared to 12-bit on Canon's DSLRs), but the website mentioned above shows the RAW photos have some clear advantages in terms of preserving colors and details highlights and shadows. Kind of puts the lie to Canon's propaganda about JPG being "good enough" in the G7.

In addition to the A610, there is experimental RAW support for the A620 and S3 IS as well...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow