RAW vs White balance

Started Nov 20, 2006 | Discussions thread
edhannon
edhannon Senior Member • Posts: 1,761
RAW vs White balance Tone Curves *istD

I was able to get outside for a few minutes to take a series of "white wall" (Epson Heavtweight MAtte paper) tests in daylight shade. My honey do list kept me from getting out during the constant light portion of the day. The daylight series were taken about 3:30 local time with about 10 minutes between first and last.

The first two curves are from this afternoons test and the last are repeats of the early morning tungsten test that I posted before.

IMHO the differences in both cases are well within the range of light variation that I would expect and for me the issue is closed for *istD.

I do plan to further analyze the curves to determine how many stops I really do have between the meter reading and the clipping of the first channel. At some future date I may try to determine if there are blue and red filters that will balance out the curves in daylight and tungsten to give a little more DR without losing too much quality.

In Shade with WB set to Daylight

In shade with WB set to Tungsten

In room lit by tungsten with WB set to Daylight

In room lit by tungsten with WB set to Tungsten

-- hide signature --
 edhannon's gear list:edhannon's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
w
w
w
ddd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow