Focus problem on the XT / 350d ?

Started Nov 14, 2006 | Discussions thread
Jovo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,200
Re: Focus problem on the XT / 350d ?

In my experience it was most apparent with the 350D when using the 70-200mm f/2.8L lens. Even when the AF was locked and it appeared sharp in the VF, often the lens back focused and I found it difficult to use wide open photographing street people. At one stage I spoke to Canon and they offered to recalibrate the lens. I never followed up but almost stopped using the lens.

The introduction of the same AF in the 400D, as used in the 30D, made a big difference to the accuracy of the AF. Now just about every wide open shot is tack sharp.

Whether this is a problem depends largely on the lens you use. Possibly my 350D had a problem and the lens made it worse. My 400mm f/5.6L with 1.4x TC also took far too long to lock focus. Now it does so very quickly and I don't miss shots of moving objects any more. It is not perfect but heaps better than with the 350D.

Can't say if my other lenses (17-40, 50 and 90mm) benefited from the 400D.

netspots wrote:

Every now and then I run across a post that mentions a focus
problem on the XT (350d) that was apparently "corrected" in the XTi
(400d).

Can anyone fill me in on this focus problem? What's the story?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Jovo's gear list:Jovo's gear list
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow