200-400 VR does not equal prime lens sharpness?

Started Nov 2, 2006 | Discussions thread
anotherMike Forum Pro • Posts: 10,154
Re: 200-400 VR does not equal prime lens sharpness?

I would tend to think that when we speak of this type of lens in comparison with it's exotic brothers, we have to remember that any of these lenses is likely be be extremely good - and an effort by Nikon to produce the best possible lens of that type/range that they can do.

Therefore, I would expect that while the 200-400 surely is an extremely solid lens from an image quality perspective that just by the nature of it being a zoom, even if a "no holds barred" zoom, is going to be just a slight bit less than a "no holds barred" prime.

I only own the 200/2 VR out of the exotics - and that lens is without any question the sharpest lens with the best subjective character I've ever shot in any format in nearly 30 years of photography with an exclamation point - and I'd expect that the new 300/2.8 VR is every bit in the same league in it's focal length. Therefore I also would tend to interpolate that the zoom, while certainly quite good, would not be in the same league as the killer primes they've introduced recently in the exotic class.

That, of course, doesn't make me want one any less - if I were a rich man, I'd love to have the complete set, from 200 through 500 and the 200-400 zoom, but for now I make do with the one exotic I own and don't complain too much....

-m

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow