My New D200

Started Oct 17, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TTTexan Contributing Member • Posts: 822
My New D200

Hello All.....

I finally made my decision yesterday and went with the D200 over the D80 and WOW what a difference coming from the D50.

I have owned my D50 for about 1 yr and its a great camera but my bro was wanting to buy a new camera and thought it was a good time to make the move.

I went back and forth on the D200 and the D80 reading many reviews that they are pretty much the same camera but with different body make up. (ie plastic)..However, after renting the D80 over the weekend it was a no brainer.

First this is not to bash the D80 but to state the differences that I found being a normal AVERAGE by far camera user....

When getting the D80 home it is very close in size and feel of the D50. The SD slot is great and I do actually prefer the SD over the compact flash due to SD fitting right into my computer. The view finder and LCD screen on the D80 and D200 are one in the same being much larger than the D50. When looking through the viewfinder on D80 and D200 there is a larger field of view than I felt with my D50. Its like opening a big giant window. However, the back button layouts on the D200 are alot more easier to use than the D80 with the way they are arranged. In reregards to the button layout on the D200 there are alot of buttons and options for just about everything you could ever want. From WB to ISO and everything in between everything is at the touch of a button. I found myself going into the menu system several times (like on my D50) not thinking there was a much easier and faster way.

I have read that many people think the size of the D200 and wt is too large but I have medium to small hands and fits just fine giving a very sturdy feel overall.

Ok now to exposure and picture taking....There is a noticable difference in the area BIG TIME in my opinion. After using the D80 for the weekend I was getting over half of the pictures not exposed the way I liked them at all...They were either toooo light and then when making adjustments way to dark. It was like working with a blown out D50 in some respects. I had the owner of the local camera shop taking pics with me and every outside shot with concrete or sky in them were severly blown out with highlights on the D80 unless settings were change off of matrix. Infact every pic taken with the D80 on the histogram showed movement to the right...When bringing out the D200 on the exact same settings the sky and concrete exposed correctly every time without pushing to the right as the D80 did on every pic. This was a major deciding factor on my part. I have now taken pics with the D200 and I can say all of the pics have not had any blown headlights or such movement to the right. So to say they are the same in some reviews I have read is false in this area.

Im getting called to a meeting but all in all I think they are great cameras but the D200 just felt better to me and I like the pics ALOT better in the end.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow