How to reduce or eliminate the 5d "DUST ISSUE"

Started Sep 27, 2006 | Discussions thread
OP desertpig Regular Member • Posts: 164
Please note -

For those new to this issue or not completely familiar with it - the problem arises in the 5D image viewer (viewfinder) whereby a black material (most likely foam or light absorber from inside the prism chamber) clutters up and can be seen from the viewfinder. No amount of cleaning while the lens is off can clear the dirt accumulation.

THE PRESENCE OF THIS CRUD DOES NOT EFFECT IMAGE QUALITY AND DOES NOT SHOW UP IN PHOTOS.

Minor particles are to be expected over time - unfortunatley many of us have had large, distracting chunks of this stuff - some right out of the box. Canon is not even acknowledging they have an issue but obviously many of us know othewise.

I DO NOT SEE THIS AS A SHOWSTOPPER in any way - the camera is a work of ART. Image quality is right up there with the top Nikon or the 1DS series . This is more of a nuisance than anything else but if you are like me and do macro work that requires very tight focus the crud becomes incredibly annoying and something that cannot be ignored. It also is somewhat nerve wracking to see chunks of crud floating around in a new $3000 body.

Quite honestly - I had no issues whatsoever performing this procedure without any sort of manual, help or even hints... I simply started unscrewing stuff until I found what I was looking for. You now have the benefit of my experiments. If done right there is no possibility of voiding your warranty ... make a mistake and mess something up and I have no gaurantees...

So - if you are seriously bugged by the junk in the trunk... by all means move ahead with this process. If you have any reserves... DONT. If you can live with the crud in the viewfinder - rest assured it won't effect your final images.

Happy Shooting.
DP (Mark)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ed
lhb
PG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow