Photokina News + Leica 25 1.4 images

Started Sep 27, 2006 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gewitterkind Regular Member • Posts: 407
Photokina News + Leica 25 1.4 images

Hi there,

i've just come home from the Photokina and wanted to share some things with you all.

• the viewfinder of the e-400 is pretty small. at least compared to my e-1, i didnt compare it to any other e-cam. manual focussing must be pretty hard, i guess... AF seemed fine, though

• the first oly guy i talked to was not in the mood to talk. he only said that the new cam would do everything better than the e-1 - wow, what a surprise. oh, and he said that they couldnt build a VF that's bigger than that of the e-1. they should have a look at the k10d, which blew me away in terms of viewfinder size and brightness. but that's another story

• then i found the leica 25 1.4 behind glass. it seems you couldnt even find it at the panasonic boot, and this one here is the first in germany. at least the oly guy told me so. aand panasonic told him that it'll be available in september 2006. i took some shots:

• after strolling around the mockup for quite some time, two people appeared. the first one was a german photographer who kept telling the other one that the e-1 was too slow and didnt offer enough MP, and the other one was dressed in a more expensive way than your normal oly-photokina-boot-guy. he told the guy he wasnt allowed to say so, but the new cam would have double-digit MPs, liveview, more than 3 AF-Points - he mentioned a whole new AF-System - and would in general be just way better than the e-1. i then asked him about the curve in the battery grip, and he said it doesnt mean anything. he also said, that the design of the cam is 99% of what will finally come. specs - most important the MP count - will be told at the PMA. oh, and the body shown at the photokina is made out of wood. nothing working in there.

i forgot to ask him about IS.

the cam looked a wee bit less bad in person, and the one oly guy that told me all the things here said that most of the people had said that it looked better in person. still, i don't like it that much.

another interesting thing: you could test the e-400, but you werent allowed to change lenses (i'd wanted to put my 35-100 on it), you couldnt change the iso and you couldnt take a shot without a flash being fired via some wireless transmitter. noise problems? i dunno.

just thought you'd like to know.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow