5D Viewfinder / Prism Dust revisted - any update??

Started Sep 26, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
desertpig Regular Member • Posts: 164
5D Viewfinder / Prism Dust revisted - any update??

There has been no activity lately despite letters to Canon and calls to service - anyone have an update ? It is very apparent that the dead air area between the focus point plate (reticule) and the pentaprism is a magnet for crud. All 3 5Ds I have had have this problem - the one I am using now literally looks like someone emptied an ash tray into it so its time for a cleaning. I have a 1DSmkII, 20D, 30D, D200, and 3 5Ds - and have owned many film SLRs. None, I repeat NONE have had the problems with dust in the viewfinder the 5D has.

Its interesting because when you talk to Canon techs - they say there is no recorded problems - they simply say send the camera in and it miraculously comes back clean. I am tired of the round trips so I started doing the procedure myself.

Fact: The dust is NOT on the focusing screen or the bottom side of the focus point reticule - all the blowing in the world will not clear it - in fact - as many of you have discovered - it makes it far worse! The dust is INSIDE the cavity between the top side of the reticule and the bottom of the prism. Removing the focus point reticule and blowing clears this out (two small screws and a bunch of shims hold the reticule in place). This is a meticulous process that requires a good amount of skill - something that Canon must be good at because there is no way to clear the dust without peforming this process. I have become somewhat of an expert at doing this now and have bought a set of jewelers screwdrivers just to be able to maintain my camera.

Chuck Westfall had replied on some posts in February of this year about investigating the problem - has there been a resolution ?? I would think a gasket or other shim would completely clear this issue. I have talked to Canon service techs - there are no bulletins or other info they have... intersting yet most 5D owners have this issue (at least those of us who use the camera nearly every day do)

I don't worry about some dust - its going to happen - but since many of the shots I take are very close up macros or micros with narrow apertures all the floaters are extremely annoying and interfere with my composition . I have gotten quite good at opening the patient up, cleaning and blowing out the crud - then carefully buttoning it all back up .. I got the whole process down to about 10 minutes... but I really SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THIS.

Any other experiences or updates would be helpful!
DP

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow