What's wrong with my 20D?

Started Sep 22, 2006 | Discussions thread
iMac, therefore iAm Veteran Member • Posts: 8,469
Glare and haze

Tim Corso wrote:

But this is what I want to photograph. It's part of a panorama (4
images) and its something I like, may be not a photographic gem,
but I like the scene

Sometimes a beautiful scene is never in good light. Thems is the breaks. There's nothing wrong with photograhing it still, but don't complain that it looks flat, washed out, or brown. The best thing you can do is wait for the best possible lighting and make the most of it.

The sun may have been behind you, but it was behind you to the left in both instances, and thus in the glare of the sun. I'd bet if you had turned to the right in both instances you would have seen better contrast and saturation. Of course then it woulnd't have been the scene you wanted, but again, thems the breaks.

I know all about taking early/late shoots somtimes thats not
possible, I am willing to compromise because of this, but I still
dont expect brown images. In fact I have some early moring brown
images as well!

And I bet the scenes you were photographing were hazy, washed out, and/or in the glare of the sun.

If beautiful landscapes were as simple as having the sun behind you, I'd have beautiful views of the front range of the Rocky Mountains every morning as the sun comes up behind me - but the fact is, the scene is more often dull, flat and lifeless due to haze and other conditions.

Here's an example of a scene that is never in good light. Mt. Sopris in Carbondale Colorado. As far as I'm concerned this is one of the more spectacular mountains in the state, but this view is from the north, which means you're alwasy shooting south, into the suns glare. I was only able to get this good a photo by waiting for almost sundown, using a polarizer and lots of post processing. Even just 10 minutes prior to this photo the scene was considerably more lifeless.

-- hide signature --

Please don't let these beautiful animals die - they need help now!
http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.org

Even if you can't donate, please help spread the word.

-- hide signature --

Please don't let these beautiful animals die - they need help now!
http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.org

Even if you can't donate, please help spread the word.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow