What's wrong with my 20D?

Started Sep 22, 2006 | Discussions thread
iMac, therefore iAm Veteran Member • Posts: 8,469
Nobody has hit on it...

Both of those shots are suffering from loss of contrast due the glare of the sun. Especially the second one. It also wouldn't surprise me if a lens hood isn't being used, but that alone is not enough to prevent this effect. If the sun isn't behind you, you're shooting in glare. Even with a hood I feel these pics are pretty much at their in-camera limit.

As this thread shows, correction in photoshop may boost colors, or contrast, but will not produce a natural looking scene.

A polarizer 'might' have helped the first shot, but would have done nothing for the second shot.

Next time you're outside on a sunny day, look around 360 degrees. You'll see half the landscape in good contrast and rich color and the other half in less contrast and drab colors. Stop shooting the low contrast/low color scenes, and focus on the brightly lit and saturated scenes.

And for those who say good shots are only achieved during early or late light, I offer this shot taken at the height of daylight... with the sun at my back.

-- hide signature --

Please don't let these beautiful animals die - they need help now!
http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.org

Even if you can't donate, please help spread the word.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow