What's wrong with my 20D?

Started Sep 22, 2006 | Discussions thread
Rick Colson Contributing Member • Posts: 954
Re: "I changed to raw, I changed to manual..."

"I purchased this. I purchased that..." You don't need to buy any more stuff.

The problem is that first, great images are not easy. That's why there are so many people on forums like this. You just need a little more practice and experience. Believe it or not, as simple as it seems, there are plenty of photographers who go to college for four or more years to learn their craft.

Second, the only thing you do need is a calibrated monitor and more experience in Photoshop. It all starts with a calibrated monitorthough. Without that you have no frame of reference. It really doesn't matter which version of Photoshop. CS, CS2, etc., You're not doing anything that ANY version of Photoshop can't handle.

Third, even on a calibrated monitor, the images that are most suitable for printing will be those that do look a little bit "flat." They'll print with a little more contrast.

Before you try to master curves and adjustment layers, just try the basics. Bring the sliders in top the beginning of the black opaart of the histogram on both ends in levels. Try brightness, contrast, hue and saturation. As you gain experience, you can then try stuff like curves. (Oh, I'm not suggesting that you don't try curves. it's just that you might find it a little frustrating at first.)

Get a book or two on Photoshop for photographers. There are a lot that are written for graphic artists and designers but the ones expressly for photographers will be a lot more useful.

Good Luck. Keep Shooting. Don't Buy New Stuff 'Til You Learn What Ya Got.

R

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow