D80 Feel: Questions

Started Sep 20, 2006 | Discussions thread
miancu Senior Member • Posts: 1,530
Re: Very satisfied

Interesting to see how already a few responders prefer the D80 over
the D200 which is supposed to be the king in ergonomics.

It still is but, again, for my hands is too big which is a bit cumbersome.

I was a P*ntax guy (film) and waited for the announced K10D to see if I would go after P*ntax. I still use my P*ntax ZX-M which is a beautiful camera in its simplicity. Anyway, finally I decided switching to Nikon after I found out that K10D has some unsupported features for flash use (and some other) and I like to use flash for creative fills (actually my immediately next investment will be a SB800). Another very important reasons to switch were the availability of cameras and service and the "wider gamut" of lenses, accesories etc, from Nikon and other vendors (though this may change in the near future in the P*entax case).

However, what finally made me to go for Nikon was just the feeling when I hold D80 in my hands and that hooked me. I am not a brand addict and IMO all cameras are beautiful pieces of technology - and that make me always think about people behind them (research, production etc) - that need a master hand to get their best and not the best technology to make a master hand... C*non was not an option since I really didn't like the Rebels (and their kit lenses) and their only other candidate for me was a 30D but they sold it with that cheap kit lens and the next glass was an expensive IS, the price would have gone somewehere over my budget.

But even so, after months of net research, just getting in the shop and touching them makes a whole a lot of difference.

Anyway, I'm raved by the images I get from this Nikon.

I took a look through the D200 the other day and it didn't seem a
whole lot different compared to the D70, but that was probably
because I was judging the D70 from memory.

Please test the viewfinders one after another. D200 is very close to the 5D from C*non (they had those expensive cameras in stock in that shop !), D80 is similar to D200 (probably the same ??), but all are very large compared to D70s and Rebels. (A comment: I was very unpleasantly suprised by the total lack of P*ntax cameras in shops. The only one that had a P*ntax K100D was the central Saturn in Munchen. None in Vienna, nor in Nurnberg).

I've been using the D70 and D50 for a year and a half now so I
think I should do fine. Like you I'm also having trouble
remembering which dial does what, I guess I just don't have much
physical memory.

My buffer is also low and constantly overflowing, but I'm finally getting to remember...

The difference was the Kodak
would bring up a menu that filled up the entire screen every time I
wanted to adjust anything other than shutter speed and aperture.
This may seem cumbersome to some but I quickly got used to it. When
I started using the D70 I went from that to adjusting everything
from the top LCD instead except exposure comensation. I just
completely stopped using the viewfinder info because it was too
hard to read. That said I don't find taking my eye away from the VF
and looking at the top LCD to be a nuisance at all. I guess it's
just a matter of adaptability and preference.

Oh, well, I forgot to tell how wonderful the menus looks !! And the big back LCD !! I used a A80 P&S with a tiny LCD. D80 is like IMax compared to that.

Overall I'm very satisfied with it and with the IQ considering that
I own a "poor"-rated lens (28-200 3.5-5.6 D). This is very good
starter camera but I think we'll get together for a long while, I
hope its guts will last (electronics & mechanics).

It certainly will, trust me on that

I have a friend that owned a D70 (not "s") for some years now and he is constantly amazed (still) by his camera. That was another reason to lean towards Nikon: references.

BTW: I like your signature logo.

miancu

-- hide signature --

'Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many
moments that take your breath away.' - A friend

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow