J Mankila
J Mankila Veteran Member • Posts: 4,234
I tried it once and forgot the D200 :)

dirtee1 wrote:

Feedback in all aspects is welcome eg. density, percieved
toughness, grip material, ergonomics, etc. I hope for this to be
the definitive D80 feel thread that I feel has been lacking from
the forums so far.

I was quite hesitant to decide on the D80 when I hadn't got to play with it - having tried D200, I couldn't believe any camera would fit my hands as nicely. And I had accustomed to the large D70 hand grip... Well, when I tried out the D80 first time at a Jessops in London, I have to say that my hands fell in love with it

I do have big hands and that was my nr. 1 concern about the D80 beforehand. Surprisingly the grip indeed gave all of my fingers a nice place to sit. I always put my first joint of my fore finger onto the shutter release rather than the tip, and this way I found D80 to be even more comfortable than D200! My long fingers wrap around the grip, which has slimmed down from the D70 to being very much like in D200 (I actually feel D200 grip has thinner feel to it than D70, and I think that's a good thing). The hooked area for the fingertips works as well as in the D200 - almost as well, at least, as I still prefer the soft rubber..

One thing that amazed me was the tough build. I mean, I read all the complaints about D80 having more of a toy feel when compared to D70.. And even though I find D70 sturdy, I find my new D80 even more robust. I think the new memory card slot plays a big part - it won't wobble anymore! The shutter release and on/off switch feels more comfortable, too. And the shutter sound more pleasing and not so high pitched. And the new viewfinder eyecup - D70 hurt my eyebrows when on a long shoot as I press the camera hard against it to stabilize it.

I hope this helps your curiosity!

Janne Mankila

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow