D80 Feel: Questions

Started Sep 20, 2006 | Discussions thread
ad in md Regular Member • Posts: 478
D100 > D80 = D70 > D50 for me

I haven't owned the D50, but played with it in the store. I liked it the least of the 3, but it was still many notches above the Canon competition.

I've used the D100 for a year or so and it was wonderful. Big, heavy and solid. The major ergonomic flaw was that it required twisting a big knob to set ISO value, knocking the camera out of "shooting mode". It was very well balanced especially with the battery grip.

I've owned the D70 for 2.5 years and it was almost perfect for my hands. The only thing I didn't like was the feel of the CF door, especially given how the thumb rubs against it on a constant basis on the back of the camera.

The D80 has a thinner grip, which is bad. But the location of the battery door is much better and it gives the rear of the camera a cleaner and more solid look. I'm planning on buying the battery grip at some point, to give the camera a little extra heft and balance.

So it's a toss-up for the D80 - I can see how people with large hands may not like it at all. But I like it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow