4 BIF nuts meet up on Hawk Hill...

Started Sep 18, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John_Reed Forum Pro • Posts: 17,140
4 BIF nuts meet up on Hawk Hill...

Here we are: Me, JoanR. sdwsp, & SharonO, atop "Hawk Hill." Can you guess where it is? Photo by Tizzy, by an innocent bystander:

It turns out that Hawk Hill is in a major migration route for all kinds of raptors, which makes it a focal point for studying migration patterns of these varied birds. While we were up there shooting our cameras full of hawk BIF shots, a formal lecture was given on all the various types of raptors they monitor from Hawk Hill. Here's the very nice lecturer, with his two under-age helpers (Tizzy):

Under the aegis of the Golden Gate Raptor Observatory, (who provided the lecturer) there are banding stations situated throughout the area; here's a juvenile Sharp-Shinned Hawk which has been banded, as he was brought to us in a can by a naturalist (FZ30):

They catch the birds in a net for banding first, normally just band them, log them into their database, and release them. The bird in the can was brought out to be viewed by the crowd of birders on top of the hill for demonstration purposes (Tizzy):

Of course, we all took lots of BIF shots. Mine are probably not the best, and I have a few to go through before posting any, if at all. But while I was there, I couldn't resist a Bay Panorama:

That one was 4 sections taken with FZ30 in M mode.

You'll probably be seeing more of this place in the near future, or at least of the birds which frequent the area. We all a lot of fun mingling with the big group of birders whose life purpose is to spot and log the many birds which fly by Hawk Hill. Thanks for looking!
--
Just cruisin' ...

EffZeeOneVeeTwo, EffZeeThirty, Tizzy (who captured the Eagle)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow