24 inch iMac - interleaved memory and performance question

Started Sep 12, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
b.c. Senior Member • Posts: 1,479
24 inch iMac - interleaved memory and performance question

the new 24" Core 2 Duo iMac has 2 memory slots and supports up to 3GB RAM max, see the developer note here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/Conceptual/iMac_0609_SuperDrive/index.html

The spec says max performance is achieved with 2 same size/speed DIMMs in the slots to allow interleaved memory function - i.e. 1GB or 2GB configurations.

My question is this: does anybody know what kind of performance penalty there might be (if any significant) in a 3GB configuration, i.e non-interleaved 1GB+2GB DIMMs?

I guess we may know for sure in the coming weeks as more benchmarks come out, but I'm just wondering if anyone can guess - perhaps based on their knowlege of other Mac systems using memory interleaving, the difference with interleaving active and not.

I'm planning to buy a new 24" iMac to replace an old 17" G4 1GHz/1GB iMac which I currently use for Photoshop CS etc, and I assume with Rosetta the more RAM the better. So perhaps the better question behind this all is: performance-wise, would you think it's better to go for 2GB or 3GB, ignoring cost?
any opinions appreciated.

b.c.'s gear list:b.c.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Photo R2000
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow