How 2 shoot high ISO with the D80-Opinion

Started Sep 7, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Walter S Matthews Veteran Member • Posts: 3,311
How 2 shoot high ISO with the D80-Opinion

I purchased the D80 primarily for high ISO shooting at weddings where flash is not allowed.

My primary camera for these situations has been the Canon 5D and althought it is clearly the high ISO champ for low noise, I have never been happy with the color saturation and tone rendering because red always seems exagerated and yellow seems to creep in all too often. Perhaps and probably it is because I have never really learned to use the Canon and I won't claim it can't do the job but almost all my lenses are Nikon and I want a high ISO nikon mount camera. I also shoot the Fuji S3. The S3 is a great camera and gives very good low noise shots at iso 1600 but when the light level falls to where I need iso 1600 the S3 just won't focus properly and I am left with my camera searching for focus while the action passes me by.

Anyway, so far in my hands the D80 is a very good performar at iso 1600. I found yesterday, while trying out my options that if I shoot at the medium image size, i.e. at 5.6 MB, at iso 1600, custom white balance with a Kodak 18% grey card in tungsten lighting, 50mm-F1.4 lens set at F2 using 1/30 of a second exposure, I get astonishing images. The noise is there but well in control. Using normal NR the images are nicely saturated and the colors are what I would expect from much lower ISO settings. Moreover, I believe that there is significant and obviously more DR in the shots because of the reduced image size and in the last 3 years of exclusive digital shooting at weddings I have not had a request to make a single image from the low light level areas at greater than 11x14 and 11x14's are beautiful under these conditions.

I am a happy camper with the D80 , and by the way, I believe the low light shots from the D80 at medium image size at iso 1600 are visibly better than the images I get from the D200 under the same conditions. Color is better and noise is lower.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow