D80 frist thoughts

Started Sep 7, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kezzer Contributing Member • Posts: 559
D80 frist thoughts

To begin I want to say I'm a very picky person. If you think your more picky then me, your probably not. With that in mind I'd like to say a few things about my new D80 that I got today.

1. I'm 6'5", and 196 lbs, I got big hands and the D80 fits pretty nicely. My fingers got enough room to wrap around. The only problem is my pinky is naturally left unsupported. I can make it fit just fine, but naturally it does not. That’s ok though, because I’m going to buy the vertical grip which will give me all the extra griping room I need.

2. The build quality is very sturdy. All my lenses I tired fitted nice and snug in the mount. (Incase anyone is wondering the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 18-70 DX, and Sigma 80-400 OS all work fine. I love the weight of the camera; with a 50mm on you could walk around all day and not get a hurting neck.

3. I can feel how the camera is more responsive over the D70. The few milliseconds shaved off the shutter response time really does help my timing. I got a Lexar Pro SD 2gig 133x speed and I experienced to lag from the camera writing to the memory card.

4. The noise levels are considerable improvement over my D70, especially I think between 200 and 800. I don’t want to give out any exact numbers how much better, I'll leave that up Phil.

5. Focusing is allot better on the D80 over my D70, and the main reason why I upgraded. The larger viewfinder and extra focus points are worth every penny. I noticed my 50mm focused some faster on my D80 then on my D70. The 10mp really shows how much the 50mm f/1.8 is.

6. I didn't buy the D80 because of the more MPs, but I viewed it as just a bonus. But if you’re looking for more MPs consider the D80.

I took the D80 and Sigma 80-400 OS out down by the trail next to my house and snaped this picture.

NIKON D80
Aperture: f 8.0
ISO: 100
Shutter speed: 1/125 s
EV ±0,00 EV
Program: A - Aperture-priority auto
Metering mode: Multisegment
Flash: Off
White balance: Automatic
Zoom: 400.0 mm Real
Resolution: -- (RAW)
Picture density: 300 x 300 dpi
35mm Focal length: 600 mm

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow