Just ordered a Nikon D80.....

Started Sep 6, 2006 | Discussions thread
TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,192
Re: Just ordered a Nikon D80.....

DezM wrote:

That's what I'm worried about......carrying multiple lens &
switching back and forth. Is the 18-200mm VR that bad?

Here is an informative review:
http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm

For a 11x zoom, it seems like the best walk-around lens available today (maybe not just Nikon but any make). So no it is not that bad at all. But it is still an 11x zoom and there is no miracle: you have to close the lens a lot to get very good results.

I've read that the 28-70mm f/2.8 is a heavy lens.

I've got the 70-200 f2.8 vr first. So in comparison the 28-70 f2.8 (which I've bought recently) seems very light! The combo camera and lens is very confortable in my hands.

I first started with the 18-70 D70 kit lens. And like the 18-200 it also got very good reviews in terms of performance for the price. But I've said, once I've tasted the contrast, sharpness and bokeh of a pro grade lens, there is no come back. The only way I would use a lens like the 18-200 today would be that I absolutely can't take my other lenses for some reason, and at the same time absolutely need a 18-200 range. Then I would get that zoom for that occasion.

But a lot of people are very happy with a lens like a 18-200. It satisfies the needs of thousands of people. In the end it depends on what you want to achieve. If this is about snapshots, get the 18-200. If you aim higher, then spend the money on very good glass, and you won't regret it.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow