K100D First Impressions [images]

Started Sep 3, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mskad Veteran Member • Posts: 3,329
K100D First Impressions [images]

Just received my K100D kit yesterday.

First impressions are very positive. I love the size of the camera, the effectiveness of the SR feature, and the overall build quality.

AF is way better that what I was expecting after reading all these posts about slow and hunting AF. It seems to be reasonably fast and very accurate.

I didn't have any issue focusing with low light and/or low contrast subject. In any case, it is way better than the Olympus E-1 and marginally slower than the Nikon D200. I didn't test the AF-C mode, though.

I don't regret buying the kit lens (18-55mm DA) as it appears to be very well put together. Close focusing is great. The lens is sharp and auto-focus is fast and accurate.

SR is just incredible: I managed to get sharp shots at 1/2s (at 18mm)! It does work, indeed.

Little concerns:

Weakness of the anti-aliasing filter: images out of the camera are very sharp but moiré is too often visible. But it could be related to my workflow (Raw - > Pentax Photo Browser -> Adobe DNG -> Adobe ACR).
Also, hue and contrast are not very accurate on the (very sharp) LCD.

Here are some test images I took today. I was mainly trying SR and handling. EXIF embedded in images. Comments and questions are welcome.

Close-up with kit lens

Testing SR

Fill Flash

Another SR test: 1/3s at 55mm... unbelievable!

-- hide signature --

Author of Absolute Sharpening Pro (TM)
http://absolutesharpening.home.comcast.net

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow