First day with the XTi

Started Sep 3, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PeaceFrog Forum Pro • Posts: 12,185
First day with the XTi

This morning I headed in to my local Best Buy store and picked up my shiny new XTi kit (this time Best Buy is carrying the black ones instead of the silver). I had a couple of charged batteries from my XT with me so I headed right out to the Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge to put the new camera through its paces. When I arrived I mounted my trusty old EF 500mm f/4.5L USM and started looking for wildlife.

On my way into the refuge I ran into my first subject, a Turkey Vulture, and took my first photo with the new camera.

Anyway, are my thoughts about the camera after using it all day.

The autofocus does indeed seem to be a significant improvement over the XT.

Today was a bright sunny day out for the most part and I did find the screen to be usable. I sometimes had difficulty using the screen on the XT on sunny days so this was a very pleasant surprise.

I made it through the whole day on a single battery.

The dust shaker does appear to work. Somehow early in the day a large dust spot appeared in the sky of some of my pictures (I was quite surprised since I hadn’t even done a lens change yet!!). I ran the dust cleaning function and voila the large spot disappeared and didn’t show up again. Obviously this is by no means a conclusive test but at least it shows that the dust remover can do something. I was, however, pretty shocked to see a dust spot so early on since it was so infrequent with my previous cameras.

Maybe it is just my excitement over the camera being new but I currently have the impression that the XTi feels a bit more solid than my XT did. This could easily be my imagination since I haven’t held the two side by side yet. The grip doesn’t feel any different from the XT though.

Without doing a controlled test my current impression is that in the ISO 200-800 range the picture quality is very close to indistinguishable from what I am getting from my 30D. This is just based on how my photos from today look. There is very likely a difference in controlled tests but for real world pictures things are looking pretty good so far.

At this point I am very pleased with the camera which is not a big shock since I was already very happy with the XT.

Here are some additional shots from the XTi today.
http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/canon_rebel_xti

Greg

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
thw
R N
thw
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow