Proxel Lens Corrector

Started Aug 28, 2006 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035
Proxel Lens Corrector

I was intrigued a few weeks back when I saw mention of a new "Lens Corrector" called Proxel. So what makes it different from (say) PTLens enough to make me take an interest? Read on.

The software wasn't complete at the time but I could see a major advantage for me over the competition; I had just bought my Sigma 17-70 and one of it's weak points is barrel distortion below about 24mm - and PTLens had no profiles for this lens on a 1.5 crop factor. I wanted a simple method of profiling a lens myself but it was too much like hard work... until now.

With a bit of arm-twisting I got myself enrolled as a beta-tester and spent much time playing with - and trying to break - the Proxel lens corrector. I didn't break it (well, not a lot!) but I did suggest a few tweaks here and there - and now it's a real product - see http://www.proxel.se/

It works very well, the calibration is almost entirely automatic - I just used a door frame as a target. Once saved to a file the profile can be used by a Photoshop automation plugin which has some unique features the main one being how it handles cropping and resizing. Look at this Zenitar image:

If you correct this with PTLens you get this, which then needs final cropping:

Note that the overall size is unchanged so the important centre area is much reduced in size - a permanent loss of resolution. The Proxel corrector enlarges the canvas as needed so as to retain the full centre resolution, which makes a huge difference. It also automatically crops:

Please note that these three images are to exactly the same scale.

Back to the Sigma: I had a profile done in minutes and it works very nicely. This shot in York is probably "ok" uncorrected because some of the distortion is disguised by the irregular building:

But this is much better:

I'd like to see other features added like CA correction for example, but the lens distortion correction is hard to fault and the profiles are unbelievably simple to create. It's definitely worth a look.

Usual disclaimer - I have no connection with Proxel other than doing some unpaid testing that was mainly for my own benefit, and I liked what I tested

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
pog
pog
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow