New SD700 IS with "lens error, restart camera" message

Started Aug 12, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cdharris Contributing Member • Posts: 569
New SD700 IS with "lens error, restart camera" message

I bought an SD700 IS at Best Buy on July 24. I has worked well and I have taken about 300 shots playing with it around the house. It has never been dropped or misused in any way. Yesterday it was working fine and I put back in its case when I was finished. This morning I was going to take a photo of a hawk in my front yard and when I turned it on, the lens made a clicking sound when it extended. I tried to zoom and it made the clicking sound again. Then the screen went dark and I got the "lens error, restart camera" error message. It turned itself off with the lens still extended. I have tried to restart several time and the error message just comes on and it turns itself back off again. I tried taking the battery out for a while but same result.

Best Buy only allows you to return a camera within 14 days and this has been 18. I am going to try anyway but do not have much hope. I went to the Canon website and found absolutely no information about this error message or any help other than how to send it in for service. We are about to leave on a trip, which is why I bought this new camera in the first place, and do not want to wait 3 weeks for repair. Has anyone else had this problem and figured out how to fix it themself? Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow