Sweet spot Nikkor 28-120 VR

Started Jul 26, 2006 | Discussions thread
BairPhoto 2 Regular Member • Posts: 114
120mm

Marieinburlington2 wrote:

For the pros out there, what is the sweet spot for the Nikkor
28-120 VR?

You mean the 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR, I assume.

I had one a couple years ago, and I believe it was one of the "better" or latter serial numbers (if you search this lens you'll find reports that only serial numbers higher than some magic number are any good).

Anyway, it was nice to have that range, but it wasn't the best "pro" lens, so I got rid of it.

Wide open from 24-50mm it was soft as all get out, then it started to improve (and the maximum aperture of course was getting smaller up until it was a 5.6 at 120mm).

By 120mm it was tack sharp wide open. Before I sold that lens I would end up using it as basically a fixed focal length 120mm f/5.6 VR lens, since that was the sweet spot on my sample. I then got the 18-70mm and these days I finally have real pro glass like the 17-55mm and 70-200mm VR.

Also, I think the 24-120mm VR was the first VR Nikon made, and it, like the 70-200mm, isn't half as good at VR as the new 18-200mm is (or so people say).

So, there you have it, it wasn't getting at all sharp on the wide end until you stopped down to f/8 or so, and even then it was sharper at f/5.6 at 120mm. I ended up selling it on ebay for arounf $450 and the new owner was pleased. If you want a walk around lens it is decent, the 18-70mm is far superior, and if you have the dough, I hear the 18-200 is good (I get mine on Friday!).

If you want "pro" quality (I assume you might since you are asking a pro's opinion), I'd stay away from it.

Stephen
--
http://www.BairPhoto.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow