Sigma 18-50 EX DC, not too shabby at all.

Started May 29, 2006 | Discussions thread
OP ben805 Regular Member • Posts: 370
Re: Sigma 18-50 EX DC, not too shabby at all.

Hodgjy:

Thanks for the comments yes the corner is no where near the Canon 17-55 IS, it's also slightly inferior to the Tamron 17-50. I know it's not a fair comparison but looking at the Canon 10-22 MTF chart, the border of this Sigma doesn't appear to be all that bad, it's still doable. if...just if...one day I decided to do some lanscape, by then I know I'll be wishing for the 17-55 IS for sure, that's why in the back of my mind I'm itching to get the Canon instead, but the value of this Sigma is just too darn good to pass up for what I intended to use this focal length for. I was going to use the kit lens for those rare occation, but the result I got from the kit lens was absolutely unacceptable LOL

vk2k:

yea I saw your thread couple days ago while I was doing some research, I could be wrong but that 24-105 could very well be a bad copy, it looks horribly soft comparing to the sigma you got, I don't think it's normal...and if you still can't get any help from the Canon rep you spoke to, demand to talk to the service manager, and go up the chain, tell them you'll file a BBB complaint if they refused to get the lens service or replace, but before you do that, run down to your local camera store and test another copy first, it's ridiculous that their rep ignored you like that, it's a $1200 lens and they'd better fix it if it's defective, your warranty still good right?

netgarden:

thank you, I'm a very lucky man to have two live models at home LOL my daughter is very energetic and it's a challenge to take candid shot of hers, she is the main reason why I picked the Sigma over Tamron due to the faster AF speed I'm a bit surprised by the results from the Sigma as well, it made a decent portrait lens at the long end, but I'm so getting use to hand holding the 70-200 2.8L IS that this little sigma seems like a feather weight in comparison LOL

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow