17-55 or 24-105?

Started May 24, 2006 | Discussions thread
Bob Sakamano Regular Member • Posts: 308
Re: 17-55 or 24-105?

I bought the 24-105 today, after weighing both lenses.

Before I tried them, I went through my photos and checked focal lengths. With my current 18-50 lens, I find I take more greater than 24 than not. When I do go to the 18mm end, the shots seem to be in clusters, and of things that won't mind waiting to change a lens, i.e. landscapes and structures. This was the main bias I had going into the store.

I am a real geek, because when I went to the store, I brought my notebook computer, so I could look at the images. (I know, I could have just taken the card home, but the store is an hour and a half away, so I elected to sit in my car and check them out there)

Despite my pre bias towards the 24-105, the 17-55 almost won me over. The f2.8 is a real benefit. Also the 17mm end is real nice for full length portraits without backing up. The build quality is very nice as well. And it was very very sharp.

I found I could isolate the subject from the background with the 24-105 just as well as with the 17-55 by stepping back and zooming in. In fact, I liked the look of the L's background better.

When I sat down at my computer, I found the 17-55 to be even sharper than my LCD showed it to be. But the look of the 24-105's colors was much more appealing to me. This is not a judgement on the quality of the colors or contrast, this is just my opinion. There was a 3d quality to the L lens that was not as apparent in the Efs lens. This is not to say the the EFS lens has bad colors or contrast (they were certainly L quality and representative of other high quality Canon lenses), but it was enough of a difference to sway me back to my original bias, which was the 24-105. That and the fact that the L lens was a relatively good bargin at $950. The EFS lens was almost $1100.

All that being said, there is a strong chance that someday I will get the EFS as well. I was that good. I really don't need the f2.8 as much as I would like the focal range, IS, and incredible sharpness. For low light and subject isolation I like to use primes. But for now, I plan on enjoying the 24-105. That extra reach is really useful, the price was right, and by far most importantly, it just fits my shooting style right now.

Good luck to everyone in making your decisions. I think that we are in a win-win situation here, with two fantastic choices. Whatever you decide, I think you will enjoy immensely.

Have a great day!

-- hide signature --

These comments are to be used for entertainment purposes only.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow