17-55 or 24-105?

Started May 24, 2006 | Discussions thread
OP SuvoMitra Contributing Member • Posts: 830
Knife Man from Rio (with 17-55!)

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I decided this morning to get the 17-55, and, luckily, found one at my local London Camera Exchange shop. They matched the best online price I've seen in the UK (£749.99). With no other copies in any of the shops in this part of the UK to test against, I just went ahead and bought it.

My first impressions are that it clearly feels lighter and smaller than the 24-70L and it balances fine on my 20D even without the grip attached. The IS and AF/MF buttons are nicely recessed. The zoom ring isn't as smooth as my 10-22 straight out of the box, but it's already improving after a couple of hours of use. Even on the small APS-C viewfinder, 2.8 makes things pleasantly brighter.

Instead of rushing home to shoot the box from my tripod, I went about Nottingham city centre doing what I bought the lens to do. I found Knife Man, a street performer from Rio, and tested the lens out on his show. Here are 4 handheld shots (IS on) during which nobody bumped against me. So, I still don't know whether this is the sharpest standard zoom ever, or if my copy is the softer than all others, but I think I'll really enjoy it.

FL: 44mm, 1/2500 at f/2.8 (ISO 400), focus on the knife bar

FL: 44mm, 1/2500 at f/2.8 (ISO 400), focus on the knife bar

FL: 23mm, 1/25 at f/16 (ISO 200), focus near broken glass on black cloth

FL: 23mm, 1/25 at f/16 (ISO 200), focus near broken glass on black cloth

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow