Use of UV filters

Started May 19, 2006 | Discussions thread
Clive Regular Member • Posts: 328
Re:

Well now you have.

I always had Hoya UV filters on my lenses for protection until I noticed strange effects in low light shooting on my 24-70 2.8L - multiple green echoes of point light sources. I did some tests with a torch in a dark room and found that even the Hoya Pro I'd bought for the 16-35 generated these internal reflections, if not as badly as the standard fare.

I stopped using filters completeley after this , I mean why spend £50 to degrade every shot even a little against the day when you might knock your lens?

The only time I damaged a lens was shortly after I bought my EOS 650 with a 100-300 lens on it The bag it was in dropped off a bar stool. The filter did nothing to protect the lens, in fact I think it trasmitted the forces into the lens & made the damage worse. At the time the only moral I read into the story was something along the lines of acohol and cameras don't mix.

You will see a marked improvement in image quality if you use a good sturdy lens hood, the one designed by the manufacturer for the lens, it offers far better protection against a hard knock and it does a better job of keeping rain off the lens too.

I can't think of an occasion when I would use a UV or a skylight filter, the only filter I do have in my bag is a B+W polarizer. Now that is worth the money.

Obviously there are other opionions out there so my advice, if you do decide to fit filters, is only get the very best. They really are better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow