Tamron/Tokina/Sigma reverse engineering??

Started May 19, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stringphysics Regular Member • Posts: 467
Tamron/Tokina/Sigma reverse engineering??

Obligatory Justification:

This must have been discussed in some thread somewhere but after ten minutes of searching I didn't find anything useful so here goes:

I have noticed (or maybe there are just a lot more customers) that Sigma gets a huge number of complaints on the forums regarding incompatibility with new bodies (and rechipping) versus Tamron or Tokina. I have read (somewhere) on more than one occassion that Tamron and Tokina license the EOS/EF mount from Canon while Sigma reverse engineers it and therefore runs into troubles down the road and so needs rechipping. I almost never hear anything about Tamron/Tokina problems along those lines. Is this "licensing" a myth or is it true? I ask because all three companies make some great glass and I'd like to avoid building a system around lenses that might stop working after I upgrade my body in the future. Can someone point to a credible resource (such as an official announcement from the manufacturers) that can shed light on all this? Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow