Geez, out of control lens collection!

Started May 10, 2006 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TurboFC3S Contributing Member • Posts: 710
Geez, out of control lens collection!

Just thought I'd share my latest thinking on lens selection ... since my assortment has grown beyond control. Right now, I own:

Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 85mm f/1.8
Nikon 105mm f/1.8 AI-s
Nikon 70-210mm f/4
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8
Tokina 12-24 f/4
Tokina 24-200 f/3.5-5.6
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di

I also have a D200 and Fuji S2

Again, I'm just sharing ... maybe somebody in the same situation is having the same problems.

I'm a pro, I travel with my equipment a lot. But now I'm finding that many of these lenses just go unused. And being a NPS member, owning Nikon glass is nice because of the amazing quick service I get.

First off, I could sell the 70-210/4, 85/1.8 and 105/1.8 and get a 70-200 VR. That would simplify things somewhat and cover the range not covered by the Sigma 120-300. The marginal loss of speed and sharpness from the f/1.8 lenses I think would be acceptable for the simplicity of not having to change lenses in the field, and having VR. However, I might keep the 85/1.8 ...

Next, I just got my Tamron 28-75 back from Tamron service. I sent it in just to see if they could make it sharper. It took over 2 months, but holy cow did it come back sharp! So sharp that I think I can sell my Sigma 30/1.4. At 28mm and f/2.8 now the Tamron is tack sharp. I can hand-hold 28mm steady enough to make up for that 2 stops difference I think.

Then sell the Tokina 12-24 and get a Nikon 12-24. Benefit being slightly more sharpness, AF-S, and being able to use my NPS membership if needed.

No need for the Tokina 24-200 I think, so dump it.

And my final lens collection would consist of:

Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 70-200mm VR
Nikon 12-24mm f/4
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di

And I could even consider selling the Sigma 150 macro for a Nikon 105 VR macro - again, NPS support and a sharper lens. And I think VR would be very handy when trying to hand-hold macro shots.

About bodies, I'd sell the Fuji S2 and get a D70s as a backup. I think the Fuji makes better pictures, but it's long in the tooth and clunky to use. The main benefit would be battery simplification since I could just own 4 EN-EL3e's and share them between both bodies.

I know a lot of people are like me and buy lenses without the final goal in mind. But at some point you say to yourself, "WTF am I doing?" If I make these changes, I think I can finally stop with the buying and be happy for a long long time.
--
Ryan Scott - Motorsports Photographer
Why I shoot --> http://www.rxtuner.com
My galleries --> http://www.rxphotos.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow