Screw 30D, get a 5D instead...

Started May 8, 2006 | Discussions thread
OP bberg Senior Member • Posts: 1,550
Re: Sean

Sean Rose wrote:

bberg wrote:

Depends on the lens you are using. Most good L lenses don't have a
problem except for the 24-105 which seems to show some at 24mm.

That statement makes me think you actually haven't used the 5D that
much. The cat picture having all that dead space and only using the
lower half of the frame makes me wonder even more.

You're right, I haven't used it that much, I just got it last week. Just because my subject may not fill the whole frame, doesn't mean it's a bad picture, just your opinion. There are many cases where the subject is looking into the open space on the frame and doesn't have to be filling it. BTW, the only lenses which show any significant (concerning) amount of vignetting are those with a 'wide' angle and that can be easily corrected as stated by about a million people on the 5D forum.

I am a super proponent of the 5D, I use one at work, but I have a
300D and a 30D. And while the difference in the full frame noise is
easily noticable, I don't think it makes spending the additional
$1300 a "no-brainer." And there is some vignetting with any glass,
even L. The noise on the 5D is not better at 1600/3200 than the 30D
at 100. It's not.

How is superior noise handling not a reason to buy a 5D? If I plan on printing larger than 8x10 for some ISO 1600/3200 shots, it's not going to happen on any other camera but the 5D unless you want the pictures to look terrible. Again, at full size the ISO100 shots on the 30D will probably look better than an ISO1600 shot on the 5D, but I was referring to web size pictures. The 5D ISO 1600 shots that I have seen posted on dpreview (including my own) look cleaner than the 30D ISO 100/200 shots. I'm sure this has to do with the extra resolution and pixel size which is what you are paying that $1300 extra dollars for.

While there are plenty of reasons to go 5D, the ones you mentioned
are not valid ones.

For what I do, they are valid. For what you may do, maybe not. If all your shots are at ISO100/200 (which I doubt they are) and you only look at your photos printed, go for the 30D.

-- hide signature --

Brandon
5D

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow