I visited an exhibiton [1img]

Started May 7, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jonas B Forum Pro • Posts: 14,596
I visited an exhibiton [1img]

and got a little perplexed. Here is a picture from the exhibition:

"One day he asked me to call him Mr Duck" by Anna Petters

This artsy work is in two parts: First we have a small "house" build by some wood with white paper on the outside. There is no door or window so what we can is the shadow of somebody sitting inside, lit by a quite strong lamp. The second part is the monitor on the wall showing "Mr Duck" performing slow and somewhat theatrical movements, taking a few steps, standing still, walking to a lamp post, standing beneath a lamp post and so on, most of the times holding his head at 90 degrees to the camera showing the silhoutte against the white background. Ok.

Looking at my picture (not as artsy but at a snapshot level rather) we can see a woman trying to get the idea of the artwork. She is reading the exhibition material. I did so also and this piece is described as (my translation from Swedish): a work by Anna Petters who often works with 3-dimensional installations that in the end shows us a more problematic view of the reality (compared to how we usually see it).

You are still reading, and maybe wondering why I post this? Well, how shall I put it? The work above is on display right now, in Gothenburg at Konsthallen (a part of the city art museum) where a group of 8 or 9 students at the University of Gothenburg taking their Master exam in Photography are holding their final exhibition. At the exhibition I saw maybe three or four of the students actually showing pictures. The other showed either a short video, or an "installation". This master exam in photography is the result from five years at university as full time photography students.

When taking the picture I was approached by one of the exhibition hostesses who wanted to make sure I took it for personal use only. Yes, this is personal: I usually visit the exhibitions by the "school of photography and film at göteborg university" and sometimes I start to really wonder what it is all about. What would you put on display after five years of photography studies at uni? What is photography to you? Or, what is not photography to you? Lol.

Jonas

ps - I really hope i remember Anna's name correctly, I'll check that and make a correction here in case my memory fails me right now.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow