S3 IS high-ISO noise... again!

Started Apr 20, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kawah2 New Member • Posts: 6
S3 IS high-ISO noise... again!

I know there has been much talk about PowerShot S3 IS noise levels here in this forum. But I still have to ask. The thing is, I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ7 and got so gravely disappointed with the noise levels that I returned it to the store. I didn't know I was so sensitive to high-ISO noise, but the FZ7 just couldn't deliver good pictures and then I realised I am mostly shooting in more or less dim situations. (Don't like flash.)

Now I'm looking at an S3 instead. Haven't tried it, since it's not available here in Sweden yet, but from what I've read, it should be somewhat better than the FZ7. My question is: doesn't the (very good) IS of the S3 make it possible for me to shoot at lower ISO (in poor light), thus reducing noise? Could I expect the S3 to deliver better pics than the FZ7?

kawah2's gear list:kawah2's gear list
Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow