100mm macro usm

Started Apr 3, 2006 | Discussions thread
icmp Senior Member • Posts: 2,405
Re: As adept as a 100mm telephoto..

as it is at Macro applications. Focuses quickly and silently, outstanding image quality, very good performance wide open at f/2.8. It could stand alone as a 100mm telephoto even without the ability to perform close-focus 1:1 macro work.

Just think of it as a 100/2.8 telephoto and then ask yourself if you could use this focal length for your portrait purposes. While some other lenses in and around this focal length might be technical 'better suited' for portrait work (85/1.8, 135/2L for example), the 100/2.8 is very capable as well. In my opinion, based on my experience, those other two lenses have improved bokeh qualities, though. The 100/2.8 is good, but not great like the 85/1.8 or 135/2L in terms of bokeh characteristics.

I own the 100/2.8 and use it very often as a telephoto, including outdoor portrait of friends and family. Works quite well and, as a bonus, it's a terrific Macro lens that I use extensively in the warmer months for chasing bugs.

icmp

icmp's gear list:icmp's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow