My review of Giottos MT9180 tripod and MH1001 ball head.

Started Feb 16, 2006 | Discussions thread
brobar Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Re: That is a good idea

denisg wrote:

I'm not at all sure what you mean Brock. There is no 'built-in'
three way head, just a solid flat plate fixed to the centre
column??. Why on earth would you want to mount the
camera direct to the tripod without a proper mount??

It is really bad practice to mount the camera direct to the tripod,
imho.

The point of my rant on this is that the replacement is sooooo easy
to to do, why don't they just supply a seperate bolt for each
size?. Is that so expensive!!

I was referring to this built-in three way head:

The Giottos documentation that should have come with your tripod explains: "Built-in universal 3-way head. You can set camera directly with no need for an extra head on it for the lowest shooting position when using built-in universal 3-way head, just separate the center column from the platform and lock the safety knob. It provide 360 degree horizontal and 180 degree vertical adjustment, quickly and easily. Safety Locking Knob : Remove the center column from platform by unscrewing the setscrew to use built-in universal 3-way head. To set up the platform, pull the knob out and rotate it till "LOCK" is in the top position. To release the platform pull the knob out and rotate it till "FREE" is in the top position."

But like I said... I really can't imagine too many scenarios if any at all where you would need or want to do this.

You are absolutely right about how easy it is to replace the bolt... I went immedately to Lowes yesterday after Brian suggested it and purchased a 1" long 3/8" steel bolt (for 14 cents) and it took about a minute to replace. I even purchased a 3/8" 1 1/4" long steel bolt (for 17 cents) to keep around in case I went with a different head and it required a longer one.

14 cents for added peace of mind is well worth the cost if you ask me!

I was going to photograph the replacement procedures and show people what it looked like... but when I realized just how easy it was to do I figured why waste the time because anybody with a flat-head screwdriver could figure it out with ease.

-- hide signature --

-Brock
A few of my images: http://www.brockbarnes.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tme
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow