My review of Giottos MT9180 tripod and MH1001 ball head.

Started Feb 16, 2006 | Discussions thread
denisg
denisg Senior Member • Posts: 1,329
1 Year On........

........and all is not roses. The shoulder pad that slides on the strap is a disgrace and the stitching comes apart very quickly. Mine fell off after only a couple of outings and others have reported similar. The legs that lock in any position don't unless you constantly address the bolts on the back of the locking tabs which you shouldn't have to do. MUCH more seriously though is the pathetic excuse for a head mounting bolt. That is a serious engineering spec error and completely mocks the supposed load weight. It is so weak that long lens work has to be looked at very carefully. If, like myself and a few others you like to mount camera and lens to the tripod and carry the whole thing ready to use over your shoulder, don't do it with this tripod. At least make sure if you do that you are still holding the camera strap. The bolt just shears and off falls the camera/lens assembly. Ouch!!. I stupidly recommended one to a friend and it nearly cost our friendship and his S3 Pro + 500 lens.

The problem is the bolt caters for both 3/8" and 1/4" heads and the wall thickness of the 3/8" section is too thin. They should have supplied two seperate bolts, solid steel.

Having said that, properly set up, there is very little you can't do with the thing and I have used mine in some strange places. It takes a bit of getting used to but even with the faults above I wouldn't part with mine. I just wish they had engineered it better even at a higher price.

Denis.
--
DenisG.
Pbase supporter
http://www.pbase.com/denisg

denisg's gear list:denisg's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Olympus C-2100 UZ Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tme
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow