D200 - Nikon reputation down the pan!

Started Feb 4, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
P Taylor Forum Member • Posts: 64
D200 - Nikon reputation down the pan!

I have been in the digital colour business (as a graphic designer) for over 15 years. Having previously used and worked with the output of various digital cameras, I decided (a while back now) that the time was right for a personal purchase. Making my first commitment to a DSLR with the (then new) D70, I have to say I was over the moon with the performance of the body in relation to price. Then the product support notices came - potential part failure - battery recall. Ok, it made me rather nervous regards QC - but hey - its got to be a one off, hasn’t it?.

With a dependable 90x and a reasonable number of lenses in my camera bag I had always had trust in the brand name Nikon. Sadly its now been confirmed that this can no longer be the case.

The story continues with the D200 (Sold D70 to purchase - big mistake). First body (ordered the day the D200 was announced) - all the purples came out bright blue (Nikon said this one was incorrectly calibrated). Next one - better, but still no way it lives up to the advertising blurb re colour accuracy - in fact the D70 reproduced purples more accurately - was I just unlucky?

Then the banding - basically if you have a high contrast area in your shot you are going to have lines that eat into the darks (or worse if you are unlucky enough to have - so called type II banding). Nikon - oops - we’ll fix it - what! - That shouldn’t have made it through beta testing!

The fact that any object shot with high contrast areas or strong specular highlights is going to show this ugly artifact (or worse) on enlargement is completely unacceptable. I purchased this camera to do more in house product shots for print / exhibition posters - specular highlights are going to be common.To have to work around a problem on such an expensive, new item, especially from a company with such a reputation for quality is ridiculous.

IMHO - Nikon have made a grave error with the design and QC of the D200 and I’m sure it will impact on future purchases. For me, the second body has gone back to the dealer and I’ll wait to see if anything is announced in the US end of Feb. If nothing new appears I’ll get a D50 body - just so I can go back to digital shooting with my current lenses. If anything new is announced - or if the D200 gets a new sensor - I will not be parting with my cash without field testing.

very disappointed Nikon user.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AAK
AAK
woz
AAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow