3 CCD DSLR - next development ?

Started Jan 12, 2006 | Discussions thread
Eric Fossum
Eric Fossum Senior Member • Posts: 1,399
Re: Foveon sensitivity to light....

It is hard to be neutral about this question. I invented the CMOS technology so of course I feel pretty strongly that CMOS is better. We have had a lot of discussion about this in the imaging community but I think I have prevailed. I sold my company, Photobit, to Micron. Micron is now the biggest sensor manufacturer in the world, at least the past few quarters, and of course uses my CMOS technology. Sony just invested the better part of a billion dollars in a plant to make CMOS sensors. Truthfully, I am surprised by how fast CMOS sensor technology has entered into the dSLR market, but that is mostly due to some excellent CMOS sensors built by Canon (and now Sony). Most camera phones also use my technology and the sensor quality there is excellent. Too bad the rest of the camera does not measure up but that is just a matter of economics and not fundamental.

I started in CCDs and love that technology. My job at JPL was to come up with a better technology and I think we did, with the CMOS active pixel sensor. It has just taken 10 yrs or so for it to catch on. My only disappointment is that NASA is so so so slow to adopt new technology, even technology it spawned.

Eric Fossum's gear list:Eric Fossum's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Coolpix P900
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
pgb
pgb
omr
pgb
pgb
pgb
pgb
pgb
pgb
pgb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow