5D owners : 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 ?

Started Jan 23, 2006 | Discussions thread
Peter White Veteran Member • Posts: 3,704
Horribly? Really? You're serious?

Perhaps you should send it to Canon to be fixed?

Mine has the normal darkening in the extreme corners that you would expect from an f/1.4 50mm lens at f/1.4. In fact it has about the same darkening in the corners that I've seen with any number of 50mm f/1.4 lenses going back to the 1960s from Canon, Nikon, then Leitz, now Leica, Zeiss, Pentax, Minolta, and Mamiya when shot at f/1.4. At f/2 the corners are barely darker and at f/4 it's prety much gone, just like on all those other 50mm f/1.4 lenses from Canon, Nikon, Leitz, Leica, Zeiss, Pentax, Minolta, and Mamiya when shot at f/1.4.

This is normal for lenses with extremely wide maximum apertures when shot at those maximum pertures. It's been true for as long as there have been high speed lenses. They all do it. And unless people are willing to have 50mm lenses that are about twice the size of current 50mm lenses, they always will do it. In order to avoid it, lenses would have to be much larger than they are now. Since hardly anyone cares if the corners are darker at maximum aperture, manufacturers aren't going to start making huge, heavy and expensive lenses just to satisfy a few people with curious, oh, shall we say, tendencies.

And there's an interesting side note to this. I've been on this forum since mid summer, 2005, and I've read perhaps 30 to 40 references to dark corners or vignetting with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens and how it's so dreadfully awful. I've never read a single reference to same with the 35mm f/1.4L lens. Not even one! The corner pixel police have never mentioned how dreadfully dark the corners are with the 35mm f/1.4L at f/1.4!!! And yet the 35mm f/1.4L has exactly the same darkening in the corners at f/1.4 as does the 50mm f/1.4 at f/1.4!

HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?!

-- hide signature --

Peter White

Peter White's gear list:Peter White's gear list
Canon EOS 5D
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow