ACDSee Pro Photo Mgr - a Mini eval

Started Jan 12, 2006 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,023
ACDSee Pro Photo Mgr - a Mini eval

Right now, I'm leaning away from upgrading from V8. Primarily because I'm a PowerPack user, and this appears to be the Powerpack replacement. And I don't think it provides all THAT much more than V8 for me.

I'm still playing with it and I reserve the right to change my mind.

There doesn't appear to be any outstanding bugs, everything works as advertised. That is something new in itself. In the past ACDSee has seemed quite comfortable in allowing paying customers do the testing for them. To be fair, they fixed the problems for free, but it drove many users away and drove the rest of us crazy. "Pro" seems fast enough to me, and stability is quite good on my XP Home OS.

I like the color management but since I don't shoot RAW all that often, that's a wash in my mind, and color management in my organizer was never as important to me as it is in the editor and printer programs. The built in editing features have been beefed up, but the powerpack editor (now discontinued) offers more and has a more conventional Editor layout and design, and I'm comfortable with it.

Printing is easier and faster than V8, but it's still "bare bones" printing. If you need more control and want more "fancy", you are going to want fotoSlate or Qimage. And since fotoSlate 4 integrates quite nicely with ACDSee V8 and is a part of the PowerPack, I have more printing options now than I would with "Pro" alone. and since I already own fotoSlate 4, combining fotoslate with "Pro", would only give me the same printing options I have now

The workflow is pretty good, but then again, ever since V4, Workflow has been what ACDSee is all about. At this point the workflow improvements have to be pretty incremental or they run the risk of ruining the already very good workflow they've developed. It's in the evolutionary stage not the revolutionary, so don't be surprised when you launch "Pro" and it looks A LOT like V8.

At this point in my trial, I would say for a V8 Powerpack user who doesn't shoot RAW, the upgrade is pretty marginal. For the V8 user without Powerpack, the payback for upgrading is a bit stronger, but I'd give the trial a thorough going over before spending money. For others, the $120 USD or so price is pretty steep, but if you've not been happy with your current workflow, this might be what you are looking for.

Back to MY petty concerns, the upgrade price is only $39 USD for V8 users, at least until March and I could lock in subsequent upgrade pricing. There will be no more PowerPack versions, and I have some concern that they will allow the regular ACDsee to whither to where its not much better than bare bones organizers like Picassa.

From a marketing standpoint, to attract the PowerPack user, I'd have had a second, slightly higher priced, upgrade option with some piece of software that we might want (say, one of the two stitcher programs ACDSee sells). Otherwise, they mght well lose the Powerpack upgrades.

-- hide signature --

Stop the Insanity!
Diet and Exercise Kills!
--
Stop the Insanity!
Diet and Exercise Kills!

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow