Back Focus Revised - New Info...

Started Dec 29, 2005 | Discussions thread
Wally OZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,194
Jan it is NOT that difficult

Jan,

There is NO RISK involved at all, you can put the cams back exactly where they had been, you do know to remember the starting position of the cams, that is not difficult to do as you will see if you do try it.

You need to thoroughly test FIRST, doing this accurately is possibly more important than the adjustment as your camera body may require no adjustment at all, you may have one lens that requires service.

You only adjust your camera body if testing with more than 2 lenses reveals a problem i.e a TEST CONFIRMED NEED to make adjustments to the camera body.

Which cam you start with will not make much of a difference as we already knew the 2 cams interact, and we already knew you have to go back and re test both auto focus and manual focus.

Other than trying to perhaps arrive at a quicker method, nothing has changed.

The other thing that hasn't changed is that adjustment works the more picky you are and the more effort you put in the better the results, it sure beats arguing with service people and waiting.

All your questions make this sound so complicated, when in fact it is NOT complicated at all as anyone who has actually done it will confirm.

On The 2 cams issue, here is my 2 cents.

I adjusted auto focus then used the camera for a while, till I found that manual focus wasn't spot on.

I then adjusted manual focus using my Sigma 50-500 at 500mm and the rough bark on a tree 60 feet away.

The adjustment to the front cam was very little.

Re testing auto focus on all lenses I found no need to re adjust auto focus [the rear cam] at all it was still spot on.

The lenses I tested on my D70 purchased January 2005;

25 year old Nikkor 50 mm f2 [manual focus only].
Nikkor 18-70 Kit lens,
Sigma 18-50 2.8.
Sigma 150 2.8 macro,
Sigma 70-200 2.8,
Sigma 80-400 OS,
Sigma 50-500 Bigma.

On the D70 that I purchased in August 2004 [subsequently stolen] I tested

25 year old Nikkor 35mm f1.4 [manual focus only]
25 year old Nikkor 50mm f2 [manual focus only]
Nikkor 18-70 kit lens.

That body did NOT require any fcous adjustment.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RLD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow